Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Noname the dreamwalker


Every night I fall asleep with a new name.
Every morning I awake with no name.

I give myself a new name every day I can never remember.
I walk in dreams, I live in dreams, I was born from dreams.

For months I travel with Repent through the dreamscape (the plane of dreams) to find an oracle, perhaps they can find my name.

“What is my name?” I ask the oracle of Falling Revelations.
“It is gone along with every other name you have given yourself.  An ancient creature known as a Door Lord has stolen it.  Door Lords are beings not bound by distance or planes easily traveling through them stealing important treasures of sentient beings.  Great beings have tried to banish the Door Lords, but they are forever unbound.  As you are a creature reincarnated he found your name desirable. He stole your name and you will never remember your past life.  To catch this Door Lord you will need to improve the speed which you lucid dream so you can catch him.”

Every morning I fall awake slamming into the ground, sweating clutching my ring of slow fall.
I trained for months, traveling through the frigid tundra and crafting items for my friends which leaves me exhausted each night and falling each morning.  Each night I can lucid dream a little faster and fall a little slower.

I fall asleep with the stench of winter wolves and ice trolls in the air, and the thoughts of my reflection in the face of mirror men.
As I manifest into the dreamscape I finally see it, the Door Lord a yellow humanoid creature with the face of a snail lips sewn shut, and long multi jointed limbs that looked put together in a gut cringing fashion.  He throws my name of the day into his satchel, throws a key at the space in front of him causing a door made of clouds to appear and open allowing the Door Lord to rush through.

I summon Repent and we jump through the door, a chase through countless portals. Doors of crystal, lava, fear, hope, bacon. Through each portal the Door Lord steals another name from a dreamer.  We follow the Door Lord through a portal of Blue.

At last we arrive at the Door Lord's destination: a gray lake that borders the realm of dreams and death. A lake of nameless souls, mostly children who died before being named, but also those who have lost themselves in life.

The Door Lord empties the stolen names from his satchel, distributing the stolen names unto the nameless souls of children allowing the newly names souls to escape this purgatory and travel to the celestial planes.

The Yellow bodied snail face Door Lord throws a key manifesting a simple wooden door jumps through vanishing along with the portal.
I step up to the lake gazing into the countless souls lost in thought.

I wake up again with no name but at least I know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment