Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Session 23: Artrosia!! Are those Cs or Ds? Wisps! This is a long climb; I think I'll rest in her belly button. Hungry trees, 2-headed guardians, an annoying fey opening doors, and beautiful music from a friend (or is it a fiend).



Diary of Zaaz Bloodfortune 10-19-17


The Wisps taken care of we resumed our ascent. With little more difficulty we quickly reached the top. Once there prick my eyes we did see a strange sight. An arched entrance into our destination and a centaur strung up in a tree. Bones littered the ground and the stench of death hung heavy. Caution upon us we studied the area carefully and noticed what wasn’t right. The tree the centaur hung on was no ordinary oak. It was a Witch Tree and hungry with malice. Thinking back to what we knew of such creatures we knew it would be no easy foe. Knowing we recognized it, the tree demanded we sacrifice one of our number for the privilege of entry. As much as I was tempted to put forth the annoying elf as payment, I tried to look to my better nature such as it was. Yes, you voices, I know to stay away from the evil path, but do you have to be so loud about it. Some deserve what they get. Ahem, as I was saying… Determined to do the right thing and not sacrifice a party member, instead we negotiated with the creature. Using my best of politeness I negotiated with the thing and received a riddle for my efforts. Solve the riddle and forward we could go. Sadobras quickly recognized the riddle was about the Black Rider, Alarian Matvias, and said so. As we had solved the riddle and that we were sent to search for Baba Yaga, the tree did let us pass.
Within the hallway itself was a wonder. Carved with a spring motif, flowers and vines, fresh with new growth, it spoke to me of the maiden. For a maiden is the source of life. Some would say that is the mother, but one is a maiden when one creates the new life, one becomes the mother once new life has begun. Down we went within the heart of the mountain, deep within. Dalomar scouting ahead heard noises below and tried to sneak close enough for a look. Luck wasn’t with him though and an errant gurgle of his stomach alerted those waiting ahead. Two Ettins did block our way and we knew they waited for us on the other side of a wall. What deity decided to create such a creature of madness? I know not, but they did have a reputation of evil. How to get into the battle without getting skewered was the question. Snori flew forward and tried to distract them with the offer of a fine axe, but the two (four?) of them were too canny for that. Dalomar did an amazing spring attack against them, darting in and out of cover. Sadobras also moved to the attack. Once battle was joined, the rest of us moved up and one of them did try to cast an Evil Eye hex on me. On me, a hex against me will you? Anger flooded me as Gretta moved to the attack. Her weapon seemed particularly effective against them and she sliced deep.
The battle was starting to move in our favor, but then Snori went exploring some more. Soon, it wasn’t just two Ettins. They were joined by a Frost Giant and three Andrazku Demons. Snori paid for the foolishness though as the Frost Giant bull rushed him, through a door he had put in the giants way, into a wall as he was casting reduce person upon it. I inflicted it with misfortune and Yoska moved to the attack. Yoska with his cold iron scimitar, flaming with magic, did finish the reduced giant. Soon enough, Ettins, Frost Giant, and Andrazku all lay dead before us. Such a battle just scant weeks ago would have been our end and I stood in wonder at our ability in battle. Even the elf seems to be blending in well with us in combat, his arrows inflicting terrible wounds. My familiar Grr tells me my Patron spirit has gift for my advancement as well. I begin to think us a group worthy of the gifts we will surely get from Baba Yaga.
Of course, that thought was just enough to jinx us. As we went onward through the passages, a strange music pulled at us. A Satyr with his fiendishly powerful pipes called to us. Evidently to feed to some giant plant Dalomar saw while scouting. The Satyr called to us once affected, but luckily not all of us could understand the language in which it spoke. Sadobras threw out a feather token tree to block the passage and though the pipes addled my mind, I knew enough that I didn’t want to see what lay beyond. So, as a path was made under the tree, I immediately sealed it with a web. In time, our wits returned and we decided to move on and search elsewhere….











No comments:

Post a Comment