Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Reign of Winter #27: The Crone! Dream-haunting hags, shopping trips to Centaur town, bastard taxidermists of the nymph and satyr and other strange things...


Diary of Zaaz Bloodfortune.....


Sometimes I feel it must be an affliction of Desna in my life. This desire to explore, search, and learn more drives me onward. It can’t be just a selfish desire for power, can it? Little enough of the supposed riches of the great lair of Baba Yaga have we found. I begin to suspect that what the crone knows, she keeps in her head. A bauble here, a bauble there. Yes, you voices, they are indeed shiny, shiny baubles, yet hardly something to shake the pillars or let one pierce the veil. In the battle where we gained access to the hut I learned more about the reality, or lack thereof, in the things we see around it than what we have found here. Whenever we break to replenish our power, I talk about these things with Grr. My Patron is wise, yet imparts little wisdom beside trite words like “See beyond the deception of the realms.” It makes my cry in frustration to feel so close to understanding, yet so far away. Though they think I don’t see them, but I see the strange looks my comrades give me. They begin to question at my sanity. Well, even more than they did when they found me fist speaking to the voices. Little do they know I question it too…
As Tauvem enters the area, his invisibility purge reveals another Hag. Calling upon her power she quickly casts a deep slumber upon Tauvem and Snori, putting Snori on the ground. Dalomar, who had remained hidden springs to the attack and does a massive strike upon the hag. Realizing something is wrong the rest of us advance as quickly as we can. Calling forth the powers of life I touch upon Sadobras and heal him of some of the damage done by the cursed broom. Calling his thanks to me he charges forward to the attack on his warg. The hag strikes at Dalomar and he evades striking back at a critical point on the had nearly finishing her in just the second of his strikes. Sadobras moves over to guard the defenseless and Snori. Tavum fires his bow at the hag and having had enough of a fair fight she shifts herself to the ethereal plane. Her shadow visage on the material plane grins cruelly as she knows she is relatively safe from harm there. Putting lie to that, I quickly cast the Blink spell and begin to shift back and forth between the two planes. Cursing in frustration the hag moves away into a wall, escaping with its life.

Surrounded by the Meniers I try to summon the power to look out again across Artrosia, but can’t seem to find the focus to do so. Calling upon my hex of fortune, I bestow it upon Sadobras and he looks around, seeing little besides some Giants traveling over the wall of mountains.


Feeling more ready to test the power of the Asura we go back to the room with the strange stone trees. We try to negotiate, but quickly the strange being attacks us. Dalomar takes a hit, but shrugs it off. I try to use one of my new spells, Phantasmal Killer, to tear at the Asura’s fears, but it shrugs it off. The asura uses a ranged attack on Dalomar hitting him and spraying his blood upon the floor. Dalomar strikes it back and tries a flipping acrobatic escape, but it swatted in midair. Soon enough we also realize this isn’t a battle just with the Asura. The Hag that had escaped at the Meniers has joined the battle and put Sadobras’s Warg to sleep. Tavum moves to try to find the hag, while Yoska moves to attack the Asura. Seeing my chances to strike directly at the Asura as minimal, I call fortune upon Gretta buffing her chances to strike. Before she can do much though, the Asura moves to attack her and she is cut again and again. After five strikes, she drops to the ground. The hag attacks Snori inflicting disease upon him.


Reign of Winter pathfinder adventure, within Artrosia, Sadobras' new ride, a warg!

 fighting the asura and night hag in Artrosia, Mother, maiden, crone, Reign of Winter adventure path



The battle seems to be going against us and I begin to wonder the wisdom of continuing to press the attack, but then Tavum gets a serious strike on the hag with a cold iron arrow that seems to seriously hurt it. Yoska casts haste on himself and moves in to strike the Asura. Calling on luck again, this time for Dalomar, he moves up and strikes at the many armed opponent. Moments later Sadobras charges in, skewering it with his lance. Realizing we finally have the better of it, the Asura disappears. Venting our frustration on the remaining hag, Yoska blasts it with a scorching ray while Tavum shoots her again.
The hag taken care of and the Asura apparently gone we start moving on, but are attacked again by it. This time we are ready and I call upon the evil eye to make it easier to hit. Everyone else moves in taking their turns, Dalomar hitting with a massive strike and the creature is no more. Taking the many weapons dropped by it, we call upon healing magic and move on.
We go down to a door and unlock it. Dalomar sees stairs going up. Up he goes and soon we follow, up and find Jadranka standing on a platform. She appears pregnant this time and acting as the mother. Around her are a bunch of Korreds, a hairy kind of fay. She is upset with us that other invaders appeared at the same time and blames us. Marislova has gone as well further drawing her ire. She tells the fay to attack us. Dalomar spring attacks one and the rest of us move up. The creatures do a sonic laugh attack that stuns me. It seems they also can pass through boulders and their hair is writhing like it can attack us. Sadobras charges in doing a trample/overrun on one. It dives out of the way, but Sadobras hits another one for damage. Dalomar attacks again almost taking out one in one hit. I am stunned and can do nothing. Tauvem moves up to strike and kills one. The Korreds aren’t helpless and they move up and attack with their grabbing hair. Yoska comes in and finishes one off. Gretta attacks and hits. Sadobras's warg enlarges and attacks. Sadobras attacks and kills one. Dalomar moves over to the one Gretta wounded and kills it. Tavum kills another. The last one laughs, stunning Dalomar. Soon enough the last one is finished off. We search and then climb the chimney that goes up. It seems to go to surface, but end is blocked.

Search we did for another way out and found a long path. On and on it did stretch so we had Dalomar again at the fore. Using a trick he learned to see through doors he lets us know that beyond are several Andrazku and a female Frost Giant. Dalomar throws the door open for us letting Yoska and Gretta move up to flank one of the Andrazku. Almost out of spells I cast a stinking cloud at the Frost Giant to try to weaken it, but it doesn’t miss a step. Sadobras and his warg charge into the room, riding by one Andrazku and killing it in one strike. The giant swings at Sadobras, hitting with its axe while I move up to attack with a sleeping hex. It shrugs it off, but Yoska and Gretta move in bloodying it. Snori pees on a snowball and throws it at the giant hitting it and forces it to wipe its face in disgust. The giant strikes a massive blow to Gretta, almost killing her, but she rallies to retaliate with a massive strike of her own. Yoska charges up his sword with a crackle of electricity and finishes the bitch off. Before we can all turn on the remaining Andrazku, Dalomar springs in and finishes it off.

Standing there panting at the end of the battle, I beg my companions for rest. All my major spells are gone and even magical healing can’t make up for the stress of battle. Moving to a safe area we rest the night, but in the morning Dalomar wakes looking haunted. As he tries to pull himself together a Night Hag appears and demands of him why she saw the Black Rider in his dreams. Why did he die? We explain and she gives us a bottled message before disappearing. We open the bottle and inside a message waits us. The voice of a very old lady crackles forth, “If you hear this, my own blood betrayed me. Jadranka has one key, the other lies in the eon pit." We recognize the Eon pit is related to the curse of Eons done by high level witches. We know it is some kind of cursed area dealing with aging. We remember the raven gave us some hints.

Dalomar may have woken tired, but I find myself brimming with energy. Talking with Grr, I see I have broken through to the Ninth circle of magic. Understanding and power unlike I’ve ever know are mine. Perhaps this is the real secret of Artrosia. Not the knowledge you find here, but the challenge itself pushing you to new levels of strength. Rising from my communion I turn to my companions and announce, “I’m going to take a bath!” Taking much of the wealth the party wishes to sell and one of my companions, I rip through the barriers of reality, making here there and there here, teleporting into town. After some time spent in the tubs, shopping, selling, and such, I return to Artrosia and my companions.

On we decide to go to the crone area and learn that we’ve made a mistake. Selling the Gem of Brightness was the wrong choice. The area of the crone is almost entirely sheathed in darkness and navigating its ways very difficult. Soon we find strange three armed creatures climbing on frames and torturing woodland animals. We quickly kill them all. Searching around we find formula books for the various alchemical creations they were making.

Dalomar scouts and finds another room with totem poles carved with the learning faces of old women. The floor is covered with skins and pelts. Walking around are strange hoarpanther zombies and a Puckwudgie. The Puckwudgie we remember is some strange creature that creates undead. For now we decide to check out a different path.

Soon we find a table with a bowl and flowers that radiate magic. Beyond it Dalomar tells us there is a serious trap. Also there is a Crescent moon symbol and runes surround it. Deciphering them I see they say “From one stage to the next, let my light always guide my path.” In the bowl are wildflowers and carvings of Maidens, nude and doing various tasks. Remembering back we saw something similar where there were wreaths of pinecones doing the same type of things. We arrange the items in the same order from before and the trap disarms.

We decided now that the path is clear to take care of the strange cat zombies and Puckwudgie. Snori and Sadobras charge in while I summon a hound archon. Yoska casts a fireball to roast many of the zombies. The puckwudgie shoots poisoned quills at Yoska damaging his constitution and knocking him out. I heal Yoska and he wakes again. My archon hits one of the zombies, slowing it down. The Puckwudgie goes invisibile again and the orders his Zombies all to attack. With the Puckwudgie invisible, he’ll be able to make quick work of us, so I cast a see invisibility spell and immediately start pointing out the beast, shouting and pointing “He’s there! He’s there” Yoska moves up to finish off the zombie while Sadobras and Gretta move up to attack the Puckwudgie. Digging into my bag of tricks I call forth glitterdust on the Puckwudgie making it permanently visible and we quickly finish it off.
hoarpanther zombies and a Puckwudgie
hoarpanther zombies, Artrosia


Finding little we moved on again and this time we found where one fo the keys may lue. The eon pit lays ahead of us and we begin our decent. Traps and such abound, but my knowledge of Witchery comes in helpful for once. Down we move and hopefully time will play no tricks on us…





No comments:

Post a Comment