Thursday, March 29, 2018

Reign of Winter #28: Hired guns, soup's on, shadows, Vsevolod and Svathurim! Bebolith!!!

The diary of Zaaz Bloodfortune




As a witch of the good, I feel I need to try to make the world a better place.   However, the chaos within all things also speaks to me.   The tough part is to try not to listen to those things that, no matter how evil they may be at first glance, seem to make a lot of sense.  For example, currently, the voice of chaos within me tells me that capturing Snori, turning him into a stew, and then serving it to Tauvem is something quite reasonable.   Now, I will certainly admit that I have in the past tried to trick Snori into indulging in a small love potion or two, with the express goal of having a bit of humor while doing some… ahem… research...   That however, has nothing on this latest “joke” of his that may very well get a strange crazy man killed.
We had been about to leave the room when suddenly a man in full, though quite shabby, armor came running in.   Lobbing two vials of holy water at the party he turned to me and asked, “Are you Zaaz?”  Having hit us with nothing damaging, we decided to investigate instead of ending him.   A simple sleep spell and down he went.  When we woke up we found that Snori, on his visit to town with me, had left a note saying that I was a prisoner of Demons and that there was a reward to free me.  In fact, Snori did pay him, once he woke from our spell, a princely 5,000 gold pieces.   For such a fee we received the assistance of a lowly Paladin that has obviously been God touched if you know what I mean.  Of course I didn’t realize quite how crazy he was.   Figuring we could always use more help I offered to pay him a bit to come with us.   Surely, with Snori paying him so much he must be worth it.  Soon enough though it became clear how far below us he is.  Calling himself Don Keehoetee and from Credorn in Iboria, he has no business being in Artrosia.   Truly he must be called by a god in that he managed to navigate the halls filled with powerful creatures and did find us.




Wasting no more time we decided that if he came along he would at least be useful in providing another target… I mean warrior against the horrors ahead.   Dalomar moved forward and into the next room and called us forward to see a strange sight.  In the next room a cauldron stood bubbling and steaming, surrounded by a ring of runes.   The runes read, “Spice is the Variety of Life”.  Beside the cauldron was a table with a stained ladle and six glass jars.  The jars were labeled Delicious, Hagbalm, Witches Kiss, Devils Dung, Dream Spice, and Alacorn root.  I move up beside Dalomar and looked, when suddenly a Mihstu came out of the bubbling mixture.  The thing appeared to be just a white smoke, but it shot tentacles out at us that were decidedly not mist.  As Dalomar moved out of range in a flipping, spinning, jump, the tentacles shot forward to grab me.   Don ran up and swung his rusty sword at the beast, but didn’t seem to cause it any harm.  Soon enough he joined me in my struggle to escape.  Having had enough of this, Yoska moved up and quickly finished it off.
I shook myself and healed minor wounds suffered by Don and I, then looked again at the spices.   The rest thought me crazy, but I knew I needed to try the spices out.  In short order I discovered that by combining the various items one could make a sleep agent, a poison, a healing draught, some other kind of healing, and a last that just made me feel tingly and good all over. 
While I was busy with the cauldron, Dalomar continued to scout and soon enough a group of Shadows burst in to the room to attack us.   This gave me another reason to consider if I should kill Snori.   It seems that the lead shadow took one look at Tauvem and told the other shadows, “Leave that one alone for he seeks Count Renalc.”   If anything can speak for evil character, it would be a Shadow saying to leave you alone. 

We battled the Shadows, but their touch was draining.  Sadobras was hit and lost much of his strength.   The battle raged back and forth with Yoska killing one and Tauvum offering Gretta a ghost touch sword to help.  Their manuvers put three in a line and I was able to use my lighting bolt to good effect.  Yoska was then attacked by the Greater Shadow and almost killed.  We finished them off, but the battle left damages not easy to heal.   A Scroll of Lesser restoration helped to heal Yoska’s strength.  Then, a notion hit me and I gave Gretta some of the witches kiss and devils dung mixture that had made me feel tingly.   It helped restore Gretta some, though not to full strength.
Dalomar went and scouted again, finding a room with Stalactites and Stalagmites.  The ceiling is far above and a cryptic rune is carved in the floor.  It seems to be something to hold a prisoner in.  Decided to check it out later he moved on.  Next, he found a door with a rune in Iobarian that said, “As the seasons of life change, so we must sacrifice the past for the wisdom of our years.”  Going down farther, Dalomar found a Glyph trap on the stair.   Analyzing it he realized it was probably a ritualistic glyph for a croneing ritual.  A glyph that connects to a chain of glyphs to a purpose. 
Moving forward I examined the Glyphs and realized he was correct, it was a croning ritual.   Looking at each, I made the decision to move forward.
Stepping over the first I declared, “I Zaaz Bloodfortune sacrifice my youth to the three that are one.”
Stepping over the next I declared, “I, Zaaz Bloodfortune, sacrifice my fertility to the three that are one.”
Continuing on, I stripped away the pieces of my past and walked the stages of youth, fertility, strength, and life till I got to the end.  Once completed, I felt a great peace within and a connection to Baba.   Though we may be very different and she quite harsh, she still honored the same understanding of life that all Witches should.
My companions followed my example and made their way beyond the trap.  Going past the door at the end, we came into a room that again made me realize the power of Jadranka and her illusions.  A great cornfield spread beyond the door under a dark and moonlit sky.  Dead ravens littered the ground and Jadranka stood before us.   Telling us that she had “Renewed faith in us because of the dreams of the rider that Dalomar had.  She tells us of the Giants, Centaurs, and Demons that had taken over the pit.  She charges us to destroy them and disappears again.
Dalomar scouted forward again and we followed.  Coming to the mangled corpse of a bone devil, Snori used his shrink skill to carry the body with him.  Scared to think of what that little beast will do with it.  On we went to a door almost off its hinges and we found a pair of frost giants standing over the remains of a golem.  Snori, as usual flys over and stabs one before we can stop him forcing the battle to begin.  Yoska, taking advantage of the distraction, runs up and stabs one of the Giants.   Blood runs in a river from its wounds in one of the most massive attacks I’ve yet seen.  Calling down sleep on one I put my hexes to good use.   Sadobras moves up and finishes off the one Yoska wounded, leaving only the sleeping one.  Coordinating our attacks we all hit the sleeping giant at the same time and finish it off. 
Beyond them is a door that we can’t seem to open.  Tauvem and Snori step into the Shadow realm and move through to the other side.  Beyond they saw a massive room with parts distant enough in the darkness to hide what lay there.  Close by though was a Centaur covered in blood.  Some sort of war priest he turned his terrible gaze on Snori and Tauvem and told them, “You should not be here,” and threw a blindness spell at Tauvem.  He shrugged it off, but then was hit by three massive arrows out of the darkness.  Snori healed him a bit and he managed to shadow walk back out the room.  Seeing Tauvem’s condition and knowing Snori was alone, I had a serious moral decision to make.   It would certainly be possible to have confidence in my party member’s ability to escape and evade, take my time healing Tauvem, and then see if Snori was ok.   Or, I could try to get the rest of the party in to help.  

Reign of Winter, Mother Maiden Crone, final battle against Vsevolod and Svathurim for control of Artrosia

A spell I know that blinks one back and forth between the ethereal and material planes was what I cast.  Though Snori may be difficult to deal with, he was travelling with us and had occasionally managed to help.  Stepping through the door I tried to work loose the axe haft that ran through the door handles holding it shut, but my strength was not enough.  Sadobras cast stone shape, removing the stone around the door and allowing Gretta to push the entire thing inwards.  The rest of the party comes in and just in time.  Snori cast dancing lights off in the distant part of the cave and we can see meniers surrounding a pit with some sort of disturbance in the air above it.  This had to be the pit of Eons I said to myself.  Coming towards us from that side of the room was a disturbing site.  Some kind of monsterous Frost Giant/Centaur hybrid with eight legs strode our way.  Thinking through the creatures of the north I had heard of I realized it was a Svathirum. 


I moved forward to get in range of the priest and tried to hit him with an evil eye to little effect.   Sadobras quickly gets hit and goes down.  The Svathirum charges Don, who has moved up to defend me, and I to the ground.  Still judging the war priest the harder opponent I cast a spell of Enervation against him.   It takes effect, yet seems to do little.  Dalomar spring attacks into the room, striking at the Svathirum, damaging it, and somehow bewildering it as well.  Yoska hits the priest with an improved shocking grasp as the Svathirum lets loose a strange attack that leave Gretta encased in ice.  A hit against me and soon I’m also down.  The next thing I know the battle is over and I learn that Sadobras had used his feather token to spring for the tree for cover and maneuver.  Yoska once again saved the day by finishing the creatures off.  After we found a massive pile of gold.  The magic I had hoped for may not be here, but with over 22,000 pieces of gold, perhaps I can buy what I want.
Tired from the battles we decide to rest and regain our spells before we move on.   Jadranka once again appears and again with words of praise.  Of the pit she can tell us little except that we will need to persevere and be strong of body.  Before she leaves I manage to trade a few spells, familiar to familiar, so at least.
Reign of Winter, Pathfinder adventure path, Mother Maiden Crone, battle against the bebilith


In the morning, rested and ready we decided to go back and take on the room with the sealing rune on it first.  Entering in we had no idea what it held back.  Rows and stalagtites and stalagmites dot the floor and ceiling, many strangely have their tops shorn off.  We moved a bit into the room and were attacked by a massive Bebilith spider.  Giving me a quick bite, my flesh began to melt and burn.  With little strength left after the massive bite I know I have to try to end the combat quickly, so I try to cast my most powerful spell, Baleful Polymorph on it.  It manages to resist the power though and so little remains for me except screaming.  I try to move away, but am quickly struck again.   Gretta encases it with ice as healing magic gets cast on me.   The healing magic does little though as I feel so very tired and weak.  Sadobras again try’s to heal me then moves to the attack.   Dalomar strikes it in a critical spot and the beast screams in pain.  Finally Yoska finishes it off.   I fight back and forth against the melting of my flesh.  The release of my threefold aspect bring back some of my constitution, but not enough.   Taking a potion of lesser restoration, I manage to struggle on longer.  In the end it proves to be enough and I manage to live.  Spread around the room we find many items of magic, yet I feel not happiness in the victory.   We struggled and barely won.   What awaits us in the pit of Eons?


No comments:

Post a Comment